There was a split second when Ray Boyd saw the whale’s head rise up in front  of him. Then, a sensation of flying.

“The next thing I remember was a feeling of being lifted up,” said Boyd, who  is convinced his guardian angel was with him when his seven-metre Grady White  boat went head to head with a humpback last month.

When Boyd came round, blood was pouring from his head. The boat was still  heading straight down the channel away from Craycroft Island, northeast of  Campbell River. A small turn in either direction could have sent the boat into  walls of solid rock, he said.

“I looked around and the boat was covered in blood. I could feel with my  tongue that I had knocked some teeth out,” said Boyd, 58, owner of a Campbell  River logging company.

Somehow, Boyd steered back toward Craycroft Island. Among the group gathered  there were his two adult sons and — by chance — two paramedics.

That’s when Boyd started to lose consciousness again.

“I told them I had hit a whale. What’s not to believe?” he said.

“I haven’t talked to many people that have run into a whale. The only one I  know is Jonah.”

Boyd was rushed to Campbell River, where his wife, Brenda, was waiting, then  flown to Victoria General Hospital, where a trauma crew was standing by. He was  later moved to Royal Jubilee Hospital.

The major trauma was to his face. In addition to a cut on his head, he had  knocked out four top teeth and smashed his jaw.

It is one way to diet, joked Boyd, who is now back at his Campbell River  home.

“I’ve lost 10 pounds. My wife has to grind up food for me,” he said. “I’m  doing pretty good other than I’ve got no teeth, and that changes your  lifestyle.”

Even his boat has come off better than expected, with cracks to the top but  the hull intact. Inside, doors are smashed and there is other damage.

“I did more damage to the boat than the whale did,” Boyd said.

Now Boyd, who has spent much of his life on the water, is trying to recall  how the accident happened — and whether it could have been avoided.

“It was perfectly flat and calm,” said Boyd, who estimates he was travelling  at about 28 knots.

“I’m always watching for thing like the odd logs floating around, but the  whale came straight out of the water and started spraying. Before I had a chance  to reach the throttle, I felt the impact. I still see the vision in my  head.”

It happened so fast that Boyd cannot even confirm it was a humpback.

Humpback whales, which are listed as threatened, started returning to the  B.C. coast in 2004 after nearly four decades. They are usually 13 to 15 metres  long and weigh up to 40 tonnes.

The baleen whales do not echolocate and have a habit of surfacing  unpredictably, said Jackie Hildering of the Marine Education and Research  Society.

The group is working on a brochure, Coming to Blows, warning about the  danger, listing signs baleen whales might be in the area and detailing how to  report a collision.

But Boyd does not know what else he could have done.

“Even if we had seen a whale earlier, it would never have entered my mind it  would come up right in front of me,” he said.

Members of MERS have been on the lookout for an injured humpback but have not  found it, and Boyd is hoping it escaped — like him — with bruises and  gashes.


This entry was posted in Aquatic Species, Whales and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s